Sportman class GT Pro from Region 8
  • GT Pro is an entry-level class running tunnelboats and v-bottoms in the 45-50 mph range.  The class was created by the Twin City Powerboat Association (Minnesota, Region 8) in 2007.  We were invited to the OPC Nationals this year where we ran an exhibition race to show the class to racers from around the country.  We were very well received and there was lot of interest expressed.  We are hoping for another invitation for 2012, and I believe we will have racers from outside Region 8 participating.

Description: Tunnels and Vees powered by stock 35hp, 2 cyl., Johnson/Evinrude with trim.

Resources: Dillon Racing; GT Pro on Facebook

APBA Member #:
    Boat #: 212
    Classes: GT Pro, Sport C
    Region 8
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • I'm currently building a GT-Pro boat from Dillon plans, and am in Florida.

I was at the OPC Nationals in Kankakee, IL this year, and the GT-Pro guys put on a heck of a show, and I'm really looking forward to getting mine done, and competing next year.

I'm also working on growing the class in Florida, so if anyone is interested in running a GT-Pro boat in APBA Region 5 (Florida / South Eastern US), shoot me an e-mail or comment here, and we'll try to get together.

Wayne Holtzclaw

APBA Member #:
    Boat #:
    Classes:
    Region 0
  • A brief video of the GT Pro race in Kankakee was posted by a local spectator. He has since purchased plans for the Dillon Mini Vee, and I am hoping to see him on the racecourse next summer.

APBA Member #:
    Region 8
  • The video did not appear in my previous post, and the edit function does little more than freeze the page.  The software for this forum clearly needs some work.

Link to video: http://youtu.be/29fMHC9t5OA

APBA Member #:
    Region 8
  • GT Pro, and several other OPC classes, racing this weekend in Forest Lake, MN.  This is the Twin City Powerboat Association's last race event for 2011.  We race most of the OPC classes: Sport C, VP75, SST 60, SST 120, Formula 150.  Forecast is for nice autumn-in-Minnesota weather.  Come on out for the fun.

APBA Member #:
    Region 8
  • Bob,

Sounds like it's going to be a great weekend for racing at Forest Lake, MN. Hopefully you guys will get to post lots of photos of the racing action for us all.

Good luck to you and all the racers this weekend!

Wayne

APBA Member #:
    Boat #:
    Classes:
    Region 0
  • The races in Forest Lake went very well.  GT Pro had eight boats on Saturday, seven on Sunday.  I introduced my brand new boat, built this summer to a new design.  It was not working very well, very touchy in the turns, but I made a small change in the bottom since then, and it's working perfectly now.  I'm working on the plans now.  More about it here: http://www.dillon-racing.com/EZTunnel/construction/ .

We're looking forward to future races at this great new venue.  The sponsors are very enthusiastic, the spectators were very interested and curious about the boats and the classes.  Can't wait for 2012!

APBA Member #:
    Region 8
  • Great looking boat, and after having looked at the construction photos, looks like it may be your easiest builder yet.

Looking forward to making some more progress on my Mini-Vee this week, and will post some pictures soon, but am thinking I may have to start a tunnel design pretty soon as well.

I've been talking with Jose Mendana, Jr. with F1-PROP, and he is considering asking GT-Pro to come and race as an event with the F1, F2 and Formula Lights, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. That, as well as the new builds going on here in region 5 is great news for the class.

Wayne

APBA Member #:
    Boat #:
    Classes:
    Region 0
  • Plans for the EZ Tunnel are now available: http://www.dillon-racing.com/EZTunnel/plans.htm

APBA Member #:
    Region 8
  • We're hoping to bring GT Pro to the F1 Prop Tour race in Trenton, MI this July 20-22.  Eight drivers are "signed up" so far, with six more on the "maybe" list.  We've got lots of support, so expect to see us there, along with SST 45 and SST 200. 

APBA Member #:
    Region 8
  • Despite what it says in the Category section of the new APBA website, GT Pro does NOT allow Mercury motors.  Two-cylinder, 32.8 cu. in. OMC motors only.

If I ever figure out how to contact APBA (I find no links, numbers -- anything -- on the site) I'll attempt to correct their error.

APBA Member #:
    Region 8
  • We brought six GT Pro boats to the F1 Prop Tour race in Trenton, MI.  Only four boats made it to the Nationals in Kankakee.  We also had some great local racing, including a field of nine boats in Crosby, MN.

Here's a playlist of GT Pro races, recent and past: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7C5B1098A049DF2

One last TCPBA race, the Ron Baker Sr. Memorial Regatta in Forest Lake, MN.

APBA Member #:
    Region 8