Tohatsu 850cc Mod Hydro & Runabout
  • Get ahead of the game and build your own loop-charged entry using a Tohatsu M50D2 block.  Carve it up all you want.  Put a pipe on it.  Experiment with MSD ignition.  Play with different carbs and reeds.  Bore it.  Sleeve it.   Beat the crap out of your friendly competition or your next door neighbor.  You saw the block at Chicago.  I'll sell you the parts.  Don't piffle - be the first gal/guy in your condo complex.   Don't get mad... get even, then squeeze the throttle and walk on by!!

Call:   Alex at  Richmond Aero Marine, (207) 737-4570

APBA Member #: 11195
    Boat #: 8A
    Classes: D hydro FE hydro 20 SShydro
    Region 1
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Wellll.   looks like this is noe heck-uv-a active thread.    Gives the old WhoGAS serious consideration for eliminationl.

Anyway...     The RAM50 D Stock  engine is available for $6750 each FOB Richmond, Maine.

At the same time, I can provide you with a "short block" which as all brand new parts in it for under 3 thou... way under that figure.   And, YOU can carve that sucker up any way you wish.    AnnnnD... I will tell  you that YOU CAN make it go faster if you are smart about it.   This engine has exceptional potential.  And, as time passes,  you will see it on the race course.  It will smoke the other triples out there.    How good are you??
    Alex
    207-737-4570
    (I'll do my best to give you a decent price)

Region 1
  • Well... my last post was 30 June.... we're gettin a lot of act-shun here on the social network.

Region 1
  • Alex,

Can you give some explanation on the tech. rule that caused Dave Anderson's DQ in DSH at Grass Lake?

Mark

APBA Member #: 2060
    Boat #: 16-M, 1-US
    Classes: 750MH
    Region 6
  • Mark,  As you may know, there are no-less than 9 different holes in the bottom cowl of the Tohatsu.  And Tohatsu makes plugs for all of them.  The holes are there to accomodate various 'fishing motor' needs.  Our Inspection Manual calls for all the holes to have plugs in them.  The thought behind the wording was to eliminate an issue where one racer had all the holes plugged and another racer didn't which might result in a protest.  So the simple solution seemed to be to require all the plugs to be installed.  The Inspector, in this case, felt that Dave was not sufficiently in-compliance with a clearly stated requirement.    I know many members have expressed the view that the DQ was CS.  Having spoken with the Inspector, I feel it was a valid call.  However, it was a call that Dave could have been protested, but with all that was going on at the time Dave overlooked the window-of-opportunity.... which I think was unfortunate.

So, given that hindsight is always 20x20, I wish I had never put the 'plug thing' up for inclusion in the TM.   I intend to submit an agenda item that the requirement be eliminated.   I can attest to the fact that there is no 'measurable' performance to be gained with them or without them.   Sorry for the lateness of this response. 
    Alex

Region 1
  • Alex,

Thanks for your response.  I agree that it was unfortunate that Dave missed the window-of-opportunity.  I would have liked to see him officially place.  Dave has worked hard to many years.

Mark

APBA Member #: 2060
    Boat #: 16-M, 1-US
    Classes: 750MH
    Region 6
  • Alex, I do not think the cowl rubber plug rule needs to be eliminated, just redefined, etc. We also need to furthur determine what would clarify a technical DQ, besides some of the non-speed rules, such as "EPA tag", which, if the motor was built from a "fishing motor donor", would not have that tag. Sometimes, more than not, too many rules are what brings us down....

APBA Member #: 1397
    Boat #: 63R
    Classes: 500ccmh/750ccmh/DSH/850ccmh
    Region 10
  • Sure agree with you Daren about too many rules.  Trouble is, what I might feel is total BS others look at me sideways and intimate that I'm part of the problem.    They can kiss my butt.  I've been around longer than most of them and I've seen this kind of crap materialize into trouble in one form or another.  But.... they're claiming to be under the mantra of safety.. under god.... or whatever.... they're blinded by the light!.

Hokus pokus bothers me.

Alex

Region 1
  • Well Daren, the number of responses here is incredible.   I thought we'd at least excite somebody.  Guess nobody knows how to type anymore, just text in near-english or tweet or confess on Facebook that Mom tossed em out the 3rd floor window and Dad locked em in the basement and fed them dogfood.

Nuts.  I changed schools 24 times growing up, that's why I'm so stupid, but heck I don't see that as MY problem... I see it as being OTHER peoples problem trying to deal with me.

That's why I'm definitely making another run for President in 2020.

Region 1