3/4 mile course survey
  • Vote Up0Vote Down 93R93R September 2013
    I'm interested in the course survey for the 3-mile, 4-lap 3/4 mile record course. Can I get a document with this information or just dimensions on buoy placement?

Thanks

APBA Member #: 3553
    Boat #: 93-R
    Classes: CSR, CSH
    Region 10
  • 27 Comments sorted by
  • Call APBA and/or Tom Sutherland..........i believe the 3/4 mile is 'STandard'. Actually i have one from the Ocoee 3/4 mile!

Hey Now!!

APBA Member #: 71441
    Boat #: 66-E
    Classes: Stock Outboard
    Region 4
  • Vote Up0Vote Down csh2z September 2013
    I thought that information was in the rulebook! What's up Kyle. Long time no see.

APBA Member #: 1863
    Boat #: 2-Z
    Classes: BSH,CSH,20SSH,25XSH
    Region 4
  • Vote Up0Vote Down 14H14H September 2013

The course is standard; only records set on the standard course are recognized by APBA.

APBA Member #: 3484
    Boat #: 14H
    Classes: ASR, BSR, BSH, CSR, 25SSR, AMR, AMH
    Region 7
  • We ran the standard 3/4 mile course this weekend in region 10 and it was like I remember, different. Corners aren't fluid and makes for awkward angles through them. Wonder if a proposal to the APBA BOD to change how the course is layed out would be appropriate at some point?

APBA Member #: 963
    Boat #: 20R
    Classes: CSR, CSH, 20SSH, 25ssr
    Region 10
  • It is a very Bad course layout. Was designed fit  a body of water in Region 6 or 7. It stinks for records.
    :/

APBA Member #: 51960
    Boat #: No
    Classes: No
    Region 11
  • I agree, it is not great for records...............it should be reconsidered and redesigned...

APBA Member #: 1397
    Boat #: 63R
    Classes: 500ccmh/750ccmh/DSH/850ccmh
    Region 10
  • What difference does it make..........the course is the same for EVERYONE and fits well on the bodies of water on both East and West Coast. Not sure why you guys think it should be re-designed??

I think it would be cool to have one turn be 2 pins and the other 4 pins to really make it a 'drivers' course and not just a 'top speed' course.

Region 4
  • Matt's probably right.....who cares about records anyway?  I mean, what's the point of trying to record the fastest time over a given distance?  Sidewinders will probably screw all that up too, right Matt?

Sorry.....didn't realize I was using my outdoor voice.

R-19

APBA Member #: 6635
    Boat #: R-19, 19-R
    Classes: 20SSH, BSH, CSR, 25SSR
    Region 10
  • PAT...........guess u missed the point. The course is STANDARD so what is the point in re-designing it now?

Do you and kyle envision grandfathering all the current records and starting from scratch with a new standard course layout......

Region 4
  • Matt,

I didn't miss the point, and the point in re-designing is so that EVERYONE would have a good shot at breaking existing records.  MY point is that records are made to be broken, so why not allow a course that optimizes the racer's chance of breaking records?

I cannot speak for Kyle, but I personally don't envision any grandfathering at all or reset of existing records if the course were re-drawn.  The point is to make the course faster. 

I don't believe in grandfathering or resetting records that already exist....that's other people's passion, not mine.

R-19

Region 10
  • Pat.........my recollection of the 3/4 mile STANDARD was created by Fred Miller/Hearn's to allow Dayton to be in the conversation for a place to set records in the East. Dayton is somewhat limited in width so i imagine the course was designed accordingly to fit and be more of a 'drivers' record course.

Do you envision a 'new' 3/4 mile course would be more circular and hence take Dayton out of the picture?? Back East we really only have Dayton to set records. The spring Florida courses are more geared for Inboards and 'rarely' have flat water for the Outboards. Ocoee was a excptional weekend last year when several 3/4 mile records were established and is not the norm. Plus Florida is unrealistic for many in the North and Midwest to travel to for a weekend race.....or do you think 'tweaking' a few buoys is the answer?

Region 4
  • Huh,I don't get it.  Maybe it's just my simple mind. If the course is the SAME for everyone in the country what is the difference?  Shouldn't matter what the course shape is as long as it's the same for everyone.  Besides the West Coast should have an advantage if the course is the same.  They should have every record,we all know the altitude and water are faster out West. 

APBA Member #: 10673
    Boat #: Owner of 11
    Classes: Raced many stock classes when I was racing
    Region 7
  • Big Don......i think i get Pat's point here. He wants a 'big round' wide open type course to maximize speed.

Thats' cool but not sure that type of 'circle' course would fit at Dayton or Ocoee?????

Region 4
  • The point is the course design is terrible! Btw Matt pat and I are not the only ones who think this (check who started the thread). This includes our surveyors opinion too.

The design is aweful. It's not fluid in corners and not optimal to set records. My question is why is there only one course in APBA that's standard (I understand Dayton theory). But you guys in the east can fit a mile on Dayton....seems you can fit a different 3/4. Why not have all standard or get rid of standard 3/4 course and let people run any kind of 3/4 set up they want. You can still run your dayton course. Which would be in line with what every other record course is. Why is Dayton so special that they got APBA to make a standard course? Seems a little bias to me.

Region 10
  • Kyle.....i am not to sure of the history of the 3/4 standard but don't you think it is fair to have our record courses all 'STANDARD' so we all are running on the same track?? Maybe the 3/4 mile survey sucks but it sucks for everyone.

Region 4
  • Standard courses would be a great idea. But why did APBA decide, how ever long ago, to just make one? And make it fit into Dayton? Seems narrow minded. I'm fine with standard courses. But make them good courses that maximize speed....

Region 10
  • I am not asking for a 3/4 mile doughnut super speedway here.  What I am asking for is that maybe a few of our APBA members who are much better versed in course design than I am (I'm not a Surveyor, I don't even play one on TV) take a look at the 3/4 mile spec course and offer some input to if it can be changed with small adjustments so that ANY RACE SITE that chooses to run the course--Dayton, Soap Lake, Grass Lake, Ocoee, Salt Springs,  wherever--has an opportunity to run their fastest lap possible and is not hamstrung by something that was done to accommodate just one body of water.  If that's the only reason that it's the way it is, then it should be recognized as a course record, and not an APBA record.

So, let's all buy Dodge, Sutherland, et al, a few drinks in Reno and see what the possibilities are.:-??

Region 10
  • Just my 2 cents....Don't mess with the 3/4 mile course. The turns aren't perfect, but they are the same for everyone throughout the country. To me that's a pretty good way to define who is the fastest in the country.

Mike

APBA Member #: 9071
    Boat #: 225- V
    Classes: 20ssH, CSH, OSY400
    Region 7
  • Just my 2 cents....Don't mess with the 3/4 mile course. The turns aren't perfect, but they are the same for everyone throughout the country. To me that's a pretty good way to define who is the fastest in the country. Mike

Then all APBA courses need to be the same.....We'll send in the Yelm mile, mile and quarter, and mile and 2/3 to APBA for consideration ;)

Region 10
  • I would love that!!! ....although, going to Yelm is one of the coolest experiences in racing! That can never be replaced.

APBA Member #: 9071
    Boat #: 225- V
    Classes: 20ssH, CSH, OSY400
    Region 7
  • Pav225 said:

Just my 2 cents....Don't mess with the 3/4 mile course. The turns aren't perfect, but they are the same for everyone throughout the country. To me that's a pretty good way to define who is the fastest in the country. Mike

Then all APBA courses need to be the same.....We'll send in the Yelm mile, mile and quarter, and mile and 2/3 to APBA for consideration ;)

KYLE
    I would support that also!! Having our record courses all being 'Standard" is fair for all. Go for it!!

Region 4
  • NOT SURE IF YOU GUYS KNOW THIS BUT THE 3/4MILE IS REALLY OFF THE 1MILE LAYOUT WE JUST CHANGE THE FIRST TURN AFTER WE RUN THE MILE ON SATURDAY THAT WAY YOU CAN SET ALL THE BOUYS FOR BOTH CORSES AT ONCE.I DONT GET IT ? WHAT DO YOU THINK IS WRONG WITH IT? I MEAN HOW WOULD THE TURNS BE BETTER.I WAS 2.5SEC OFF THE 750CCMH RECORD THAT WAS SET AT CRESENT CITY FLORIDA AND I KNOW IM RUNNING MUCH BETTER THAT JOHN SHARP WAS THEN AND THAT PLACE HAD TWO VERY DIFFERENT TURNS.AFTER THE FIRST TURN ON ANY RECORD COURSE WE SLOW DOWN BECOUSE OF THE RUN TO CLOCK SO IF WE ALL RUN THE SAME ONE THEN SEA LEVEL IS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE FROM COAST TO COAST.

Boat #: No
    Classes: No
  • Look what I started.

APBA Member #: 3553
    Boat #: 93-R
    Classes: CSR, CSH
    Region 10
  • Matt's probably right.....who cares about records anyway?  I mean, what's the point of trying to record the fastest time over a given distance?  Sidewinders will probably screw all that up too, right Matt?

Sorry.....didn't realize I was using my outdoor voice.

R-19

Why don't we change the 1/4 mile straight-away records so we can use 2 runs in the same direction?  That way, we can make both runs going down stream in West Virginia.  If we're interested in just getting the fastest speeds, this should go over well.  At a minimum, it would level the playing field with those courses which compete at sea level and have a higher oxygen concentration in the fuel mixture.

Region 7
  • Standard courses would be a great idea. But why did APBA decide, how ever long ago, to just make one? And make it fit into Dayton? Seems narrow minded. I'm fine with standard courses. But make them good courses that maximize speed....

It was Fred Miller's creation. 

Region 7
  • 14H said:

Standard courses would be a great idea. But why did APBA decide, how ever long ago, to just make one? And make it fit into Dayton? Seems narrow minded. I'm fine with standard courses. But make them good courses that maximize speed....

It was Fred Miller's creation. 

Damn that Fred Miller......always thinking outside the box.

Region 4
  • Wha hoppen you guys run outa gas?

APBA Member #: 11195
    Boat #: 8A
    Classes: D hydro FE hydro 20 SShydro
    Region 1